Friday, July 11, 2008

What now?

As most of you already know, my tumor is back. We knew it would eventually grow back, the only question was when. It's pretty small at the moment. The plan is to hit it with a few rounds of chemo to beat down it's defenses and then gamma knife it. So I'll be miserable for the two months of chemo, but then I'll get to experience gamma knife first hand. I'm actually kinda excited to experience gamma knife - I've never tried it before. Apparently they will screw a halo into my skull and take high resolution scans, then spend a few hours number crunching and packing radioactive cobalt into a helmet that goes on the halo and produces about 200 low intensity gamma ray beams that converge on the tumor for about an hour. Maybe I'll get a photo of me wearing my radioactive helmet to add to my hat gallery.

Unfortunately this makes the chances of returning to school even more slim. On the other hand, I made it though pretty much the whole school year last year. I guessed I had a little less than a 50% chance of even making it though one quarter, and a lot of people thought it nearly impossible. So if I don't ever get to return I'll be disappointed, but glad of what I accomplished.

No comments: