Thursday, March 27, 2008

BT Conference in Sacramento

Ok, I guess it's getting past time to post on the Sutter Brain Tumor Conference. First of all, thanks to Sutter for putting it together. It was great to meet so many people from across the nation who are dealing with the same things. Bravo to the presenters, who acknowledged that everyone is different, and their willingness to admit what they do not know, a feat that many doctors seem to have difficulty with. And they were very accessible for questions later. And it was nice to find that others, too, remembered their surgeries in spite of doctors saying that's impossible. In fact, I came away with a general feeling that the theme was partially that supposedly "impossible" things happen quite often, which I know, as a mathematician, is truer than you might think (0 probability does not necessarily mean impossible).



I do have a few minor things that I would suggest for future events. Some of us have difficulty filtering sounds and the music that was playing between talks was messing with us, both because it was too loud and it was too "penetrating." It would have been nice to have a quiet and comfortable space to retreat to. And I found the food provided rather amusingly ironic considering the nutrition talk. Also, it was a lot to pack into one day, especially for those of us who have "pets" with plenty of personality in our heads. I know a lot of people were by the end saying it should have been a two day event, but that is a hard call. Personally I would have liked to see a little more scientific content, but I really don't see how that could have worked. Even in a crowd like this, everyone is different, and has different requirements.

I congratulate Sutter on this great conference, and look forward to the next one. I was thinking of ways I could help with next time. Maybe I'll bring it up with Dr Wu when I have an appointment with her.

No comments: