Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Skavookie

I've been asked what "Skavookie" means a number of times recently. I'm tempted to leave this as a mystery... but I will say that it is a reference to Jamaica in the 50's. For those of you who don't want to research this themselves, read more below.


Contrary to what some people think, the music genre called ska was not derived from reggae. In fact, it is the other way around. Ska actually originated in Jamaica in the 50's and apparently one of the fathers of ska took to greeting his fellow ska buddies with "skavookie." So you can consider it a kind of friendly greeting. Ska faded out of style until the 80's in the UK and then emerged in the US in the 90's. I adopted Skavookie as my screen name for relatively early chat rooms called MOO's somewhere in the 90's.