Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Fall Leftover Lunch

I like to cook by instinct. I usually only look at recipes only for ideas. I don't make precise measurements, and am constantly experimenting. This makes my cooking different each time I cook the same thing, and can make it at the very least interesting. I commonly cook more than I need of staples like beans, rice, and baked tofu. Then I can make quick meals based on combinations of these leftovers: it is not as fun to spend time cooking for one. And yet, those quick meals are often more creative. Some work and some don't. Today's lunch was one of the ones that did.


Last night my mother cooked pork tenderloin with cinnamon apples, green beans with onion, and mashed sweet potatoes. A good October dinner. Alas, only a little of the sweet potatoes survived the night. So I put some grated cheddar and the sweet potatoes on a tortilla, nuked it for a minute, and then added apple slices and cinnamon and nuked it about fifteen seconds, then wrapped it and ate it. Sweet potatoes or winter squashes always go well with apples, and the mash was thick, not watery, so the only thing I worried about was adding the cheese to the whole mix, but it needed some sort of protein and glue to hold it together. But I didn't worry about it much or for long, for it turned out to be a success. That is the secret of cooking, and many things: don't be afraid to try.

No comments: